Thursday, March 6, 2014

On behalf of myself and sundry MPO constituents - Dear Mr. Mason: As a courtesy to you, let me inform you that, over the course of the Spring and Summer, I intend to conduct a performance review of our MPO (the one you administer). To that end, I intend to publish my findings.




Dear Mr. Mason:

 

As a courtesy to you, let me inform you that, over the course of the Spring and Summer, I intend to conduct a performance review of our MPO (the one you administer). To that end, I intend to publish my findings.

 

I hope you welcome the scrutiny as a means of improving our MPO's performance, whether it is performing satisfactorily or not. I also encourage you to embrace my team's findings as a catalyst for encouraging citizen involvement with our MPO.

 

As you doubtless already know, MPO's were formed for purposes of encouraging "regional decision-making". To the extent consultants time-and-again seem more respected by MPO's than do local citizens (and, to the extent we heard troubling testimony about this as far back as the early '90's when I was a U.S. Senate Transportation L.A.), I should like to encourage you to prioritize more effective outreach to our friends and neighbors.

 

I should further like to encourage you to submit not only to audits (as required, and as you've been doing), but also to PERFORMANCE audits (a different animal altogether).



Moreover, I should like to ask that you cite your governing authority on our MPO website (federal authority as well as state authority, both statutes and regulations). To my knowledge the website ignores this vital information. Underscoring the importance of such information, I noticed that a recent correspondence you disseminated via email contains an incorrect statutory citation - one that confuses a federal statute with a DOT regulation.

 

Finally, I must ask for clarity...

 

I suspect I know the answers to the following questions; but, for the benefit of my team and our fellow citizens, please tell me:

 

1. Were you appointed by our MPO policy committee? If so, then who was serving on the committee when you were appointed? If you were not appointed by the policy committee, then who appointed you?

 

2. When were you hired/appointed? Are you a political appointee with a term of service? If so, then when does your term fall subject to expiration or re-designation?

 

3. Which public official(s) hold you accountable for performance? Put another way, who does Tom Mason answer to? The question is an important one because – insofar as more than 90% of your budget comes from the feds; insofar as the money runs through WyDOT and is administered by the City of Cheyenne; and insofar as the MPO policy committee consists of both state and local officials – your chain of accountability is confusing to average citizens. I might add that it is also confusing to Mayor Kaysen because, at a recent town hall meeting, this key member of your governing policy committee was unable to address the question: "Who does Tom Mason answer to?"

 

4. Is Tom Mason subject to performance evaluations? If so, then may I see the most recent one (rest assured I will not ask to look at it until April at the earliest)?

 

5. When is our MPO up for re-designation?

 

6. In the event our MPO is operating beyond its purview (keep in mind that, in various jurisdictions, this DOES from time-to-time happen), what recourse or remedy do citizens have to alleviate such a problem? Shouldn't this be addressed via published MPO policy? Again, this goes back to the vital question of accountability and the basic functioning of bottom-up Self Government.

 

7. What guidance can you provide on codifying new state language addressing our MPO's chain of accountability?

 

8. Are you aware that MPO's are restricted from using taxpayer resources to lobby or to campaign for changes to public policy? I expect we will address this issue in the statehouse next January. Any recommendations on language? And,

 

9. Are you willing to adopt an official MPO policy stipulating a "performance" audit to coincide with your routine, three-year audits? If money is a concern, then perhaps our MPO would be willing to adopt an official policy submitting to privately funded audits.

 

Thank you, Tom. I hope you find value in this interrogatory. I expect my team will conduct more of them.

 

Respectfully,

 

Tim Bieligk,

On behalf of myself and sundry MPO constituents

2512 Carey Avenue

Cheyenne, Wyoming 82001

307-215-4553

 


No comments:

Post a Comment